Position: Director of College Counseling
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Jon Rice, Director of Academics.
Burke Mountain Academy seeks a Director of College Counseling with the ability to connect meaningfully with students, who is intellectually curious, has an outstanding academic background, and who will be an active participant in our academic, athletic, and residential programs. Candidates must be excited about embracing our strategic goals of building a four-year college counseling curriculum for our student-athletes, working collaboratively with the Director of Academics and athletics staff during the college recruiting cycle, use data in
As is the case with all of our administrators, the Director of College Counseling will teach two courses, most likely humanities courses. In addition, candidates must be committed to our narrative based evaluation system and embrace our school mission to provide passionate ski racers the opportunity to pursue their limitless academic and athletic potential in a community based on trust.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Master’s degree preferred.
- Previous experience and/or demonstrated ability to work with youth.
- Excitement about embracing our academic strategic initiative to utilize blended learning in the classroom to support our student-athletes during the winter months.
Counseling Responsibilities and Outcomes:
- Strong counseling skills, and ability to work effectively with our highly motivated student-athletes.
- Strong understanding of colleges and universities, primarily in the U.S. but also including Canadian and European universities. Willingness to learn about the collegiate Alpine ski programs in the United States. Visits to college campuses are important to this understanding.
- Development of relationships with college admission professionals and college Alpine ski coaches is expected.
- Expertise in the college admission process, including an understanding of differing levels of selectivity, the role of standardized testing, and being a champion of our narrative based evaluation framework to colleges and families.
- Attendance at professional conferences and workshops is encouraged and supported.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to write clearly and persuasively in support of students.
- Strong organization and time-management skills.
- Sense of professionalism and high ethical standards, and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Sense of humor, flexibility, collegiality, teamwork, and independence.
Teaching Responsibilities and Outcomes:
- Plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Identify and select different instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs.
- Use relevant technology to support instruction.
- Observe and evaluate student’s performance and development.
- Assign and assess class work, homework, tests and assignments.
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development.
- Prepare required narrative based student evaluations in collaboration with the faculty.
- Participate in faculty and school meetings, parent meetings.
- Provide academic support, both in person and online, during extended ski camps.
- Keep up to date with developments in subject area, teaching resources and methods and make relevant changes to instructional plans and activities.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with students, parents, and other professionals on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with peers to enhance the instructional environment.
- Model professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community.
- Employ excellent customer service when working with school staff members, parents, and students.
- Participate in professional development courses or activities.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Academics and/or the Head of School. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established as part of the annual performance evaluation.
Equal Opportunity Employer