The Burke Mountain Academy E-Team offers qualified athletes an opportunity to continue to pursue their ski racing dreams post high school in a focused, structured and supportive environment. The program is designed to support top emerging national team prospects who need additional time to develop their profile and the skill necessary to qualify for National Team recognition or elite NCAA competition as a step on that path. Acceptance and retention standards are rigorous, and based on race results, achievement of physical standards as well as displayed commitment and character. Only the most dedicated individuals are encouraged to apply.
BMA is committing to operate this program for a highly selective group of individuals who are committed to exhausting every possibility to achieve their athletic goals. The program will be limited to a total of 12 athletes annually with a hard cap of 6 per gender. For the most qualified individuals, BMA will waive the tuition fees for the program entirely (see criteria below.)
As members in the broader BMA community, the E-Team participants are expected to be the standard bearer for excellence at Burke. Our facilities and resources will be leveraged in conjunction with donations from BMA and US ski racing supporters to effectively subsidize the E-Team so that these individuals can continue to pursue high-level athletics without cost becoming a prohibitive variable. In exchange for the unprecedented level of support, the E-Team athletes will be expected to be a “guiding light” for the undergraduates at BMA both indirectly as role models and directly as assigned mentors or assistant trainers on campus.
The program will be designed to facilitate enough structure and oversight to ensure a positive culture yet recognize the appropriate freedom for young adults who have graduated from high school. Our aim is to provide a platform for continued personal growth in a healthy environment that fosters a high degree of personal responsibility coupled with intensive athletic programming.
- Size: BMA will accept a maximum of 6 men and 6
women annually into the E-team program.
- Coaching: The E-Team athletes will be a part
of the FIS teams at BMA and BMA may employ program specific staff based
on annual acceptances into the program. As part of the FIS program the E-Team
will count towards coach to athlete ratios in the FIS program which is targeted
at 6:1 at BMA. Additional considerations on E-Team specific coaching will be
determined on potential race schedules and spread in ability levels.
- Housing: BMA will provide near to campus
housing for the E-Team with staff oversight near or within the housing
- Campus Use: E-Team athletes will utilize BMA
campus facilities including the RBC, GTC, and Training Venues.
Pay to Play Program Fee- $20,000
- Program fee includes Room, Board, Coaching, Season’s Pass at Burke Mountain, Use of Facilities, and in region transportation costs.
- Program fee does not include Camps, projects, race fees and/or associated out of region travel.
Program Fee Free-$0
- A maximum of 3 individuals per gender may qualify for free participation annually and must meet the below-outlined criteria. Free acceptance will only be granted to qualifying athletes and in the event that more than 3 athletes per gender qualify, the top 3 of applicants will be selected to receive the free participation.
- Need Based Financial Aid: The BMA E-Team program
is highly subsidized by the school in an effort to make keeping the dream of
high achievement in the sport of ski racing alive. No additional Need Based
Financial Aid is available for this program. A number of outside resources for
Financial Aid are available through the T2 Foundation, VARA etc.
The below-outlined criteria for application describe the minimum qualifications required to apply for the E-Team program. Applicants will be subject to an interview prior to final acceptance. All final acceptances will be made at the sole discretion of BMA.
- PHYSICAL TESTS STANDARD: Applicants must be capable of passing the BMA “SuperBear” age-based physical test standard (LINK HERE). Must be within 90% of age standard by Spring of year preceding and 100% of standard by October of participating year.
- CHARACTER REFERENCE: Applicants must submit two recommendations for references of character:
- Peer Recommendation
- Coaches Recommendation
- SKI RACING QUALIFICATIONS
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR PARTICIPATION: Applicants must meet the following minimum World Ranking qualifications based on their Year of Birth based on the Interim Base FIS Points list published 04/18/19 in order to qualify.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR TUITION FREE: Applicants must meet the following minimum World Ranking qualifications based on their Year of Birth rank on the Interim Base FIS Points list published 04/18/19 in order to qualify for participation free of
4. APPEAL: In the case of individuals who are unable to meet the objective criteria due to injury or other circumstances, they may apply with an appeal for special circumstances.
For more information please contact:
Mardi Haskell ’12
Director of Enrollment and Financial Aid
email@example.com | 802.427.8013